History Podcasts

Army major kills 13 people in Fort Hood shooting spree

Army major kills 13 people in Fort Hood shooting spree

On November 5, 2009, 13 people are killed and more than 30 others are wounded, nearly all of them unarmed soldiers, when a U.S. Army officer goes on a shooting rampage at Fort Hood in central Texas. The deadly assault, carried out by Major Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, was the worst mass shooting at a U.S. military installation.

Early in the afternoon of November 5, 39-year-old Hasan, armed with a semi-automatic pistol, shouted “Allahu Akbar” (Arabic for “God is great”) and then opened fire at a crowd inside a Fort Hood processing center where soldiers who were about to be deployed overseas or were returning from deployment received medical screenings. The massacre, which left 12 service members and one Department of Defense employee dead, lasted approximately 10 minutes before Hasan was shot by civilian police and taken into custody.

The Virginia-born Hasan, the son of Palestinian immigrants who ran a Roanoke restaurant and convenience store, graduated from Virginia Tech University and completed his psychiatry training at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland, in 2003. He went on to work at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, D.C., treating soldiers returning from war with post-traumatic stress disorder. In May 2009, he was promoted to the rank of major in the Army, and that July, was transferred to Fort Hood. Located near the city of Killeen, Fort Hood, which includes 340 square miles of facilities and homes, is the largest active-duty U.S. military post. At the time of the shootings, more than 50,000 military personnel lived and worked there, along with thousands more family members and civilian personnel.

In the aftermath of the massacre, reviews by the Pentagon and a U.S. Senate panel found Hasan’s superiors had continued to promote him despite the fact that concerns had been raised over his behavior, which suggested he had become a radical and potentially violent Islamic extremist. Among other things, Hasan stated publicly that America’s war on terrorism was really a war against Islam.

In 2013, Hasan, who was left paralyzed from the waist down as a result of shots fired at him by police attempting to stop his rampage, was tried in military court, where he acted as his own attorney. During his opening statement, he admitted he was the shooter. (Hasan had previously told a judge that in an effort to protect Muslims and Taliban leaders in Afghanistan, he had gunned down the soldiers at Fort Hood who were being deployed to that nation.) For the rest of the trial, Hasan called no witnesses, presented scant evidence and made no closing argument. On August 23, 2013, a jury found Hasan guilty of 45 counts of premeditated murder and attempted premeditated murder, and he later was sentenced to death for his crimes.

Shooting Spree At Ft. Hood Leaves Community Shaken

A shooting rampage in Fort Hood, Texas Thursday reportedly killed 13 people and wounded 30 others. It was the worst mass shooting ever at a domestic U.S. Military installation. For an update, host Michel Martin talks with Terry Whitley, senior pastor of the Grace Christian Center, a large congregation in Killeen, Texas — the city adjacent to Fort Hood. Many of Pastor Whitley's congregants are members of the military or are part of the military family as it were. Chaplains from Grace Christian Center have been out in the community, helping local residents get through this difficult and confusing time.

I'm Michel Martin, and this is TELL ME MORE from NPR News.

P: political mastermind David Plouffe. He managed the Obama campaign and now he's written a book about it, it's called "The Audacity To Win." He'll be with us a little later. But first, we focus on the shooting rampage in Fort Hood, Texas, yesterday. The alleged gunman, Army psychiatrist Major Nidal Malik Hasan, reportedly killed at least a dozen people and wounded 30 others. It was the worst mass shooting ever at a domestic U.S. military installation.

In a moment, we'll hear from a local Muslim leader who lives near Fort Hood about how Muslims in the area are reacting to the tragedy. We're asking because the alleged shooter is a Muslim-American. But first, Terry Whitley, senior pastor of the Grace Christian Center, a large congregation in Killeen, Texas. That's the city adjacent to Fort Hood. Many of Pastor Whitley's congregants are members of the military or are part of the military family, as it were. And chaplains from Grace Christian Center have been out in the community helping local residents get through this very difficult time and we're pleased that Pastor Whitley was able to join us. Thank you for joining us.

TERRY WHITLEY: You're welcome, Michel. Good to be with you.

WHITLEY: I'm doing good. Still in - somewhat in shock. And, you know - and somewhat bewildered as by what has happened in our community.

MARTIN: What have the last 24 hours been like?

WHITLEY: It is a range of emotions for me and most of the people that I'm talking about and talking to. They are very, very concerned and shocked at this incident.

MARTIN: How did you hear about what happened? How did the word reach you?

WHITLEY: Word reached me from my office. I was out of the office yesterday afternoon. It was about 1:20 Central time and they called me on my cell phone and told me what was happening at Fort Hood at that time.

MARTIN: What kinds of support are people needing right now? What are members of your congregation doing with and for, to help each other through this?

WHITLEY: Just making ourself available and obviously we have a lot of contacts with the Fort Hood community and relationships, and right now we're making ourselves available through different agencies - is anything we can do. Our facilities stand ready to be used by Fort Hood officials, Red Cross - anyone who needs anything from us, we're standing ready. And that's what we're gearing up to do today, is to extend that help even further, as to how we can be of assistance particularly to the spiritual and emotional needs of the victims' families.

MARTIN: I'm thinking that if you're service member overseas and somehow you hear about this and you have family back home.

MARTIN: . as awful as it is to be there, how awful it is to be so far away and wondering what's going on. Are you getting queries like that?

MARTIN: Trying to get word to people, to let people know that they are okay.

WHITLEY: Yes, we are. We are hearing that there is a good bit that - of course, a lot - we have about 25,000 troops from Fort Hood that are either in Iraq or Afghanistan, and that a lot of them have heard and had heard and are calling and text messaging and everything to check on their families. And so that is going on, yes.

MARTIN: And I think, Pastor, many people will recall that in 1991 there was another terrifying incident in this city - in your city, when a man drove through the window of a Luby's cafeteria.

MARTIN: . and opened fire on customers and some 24 people died in that.

MARTIN: . incident including the shooter. And I'm guessing that there are still people in town who remember that and I'm just thinking what it must be like to live through something else like that.

WHITLEY: Yeah, it is. I was very well aware of the Luby's massacre - was supposed to be there at Luby's at the time of the shooting and some circumstances dictated that I miss that appointment or I would have been there. And in hearing that news about the Luby's shooting in '91 - October of '91 - this is what happened yesterday is very surreal and very reminiscent of those days after that terrible tragedy and this is what's setting in now, you know.

MARTIN: And Pastor, forgive me, I just have to ask, how are you making sense of this spiritually. I'm sure that - I'm assuming that you are going to preach on Sunday.

MARTIN: And what you are going to say?

WHITLEY: I'm going to collect my thoughts today. You're exactly right, Michel, I am going to be addressing my congregation and - about this terrible tragedy. I will be collecting my thoughts today and getting those, but I'm going to talk about where is God in these times. And I'm going to address, you know, to healing, to survivors and that what we we're to do as people who Jesus has called to be salt and to be light to a world, particularly in these times and, you know, we don't have all the answers right now.

And so many times we get, you know - what are the answers and we're not even sure what the questions are. But how that we can just - how we can be available and how we can be a healing force in this time to our community, to our brothers and sisters who survived this and all of the family and how we can help bring healing is what I'm going to focus on. You know, what do we do now?

MARTIN: Well, Pastor, our thoughts are very much with you at this time. You and all for whom you care at this time. So, we thank you so much for taking the time.

MARTIN: Pastor Terry Whitley joined us from Texas. He's the senior pastor of Grace Christian Center, which is right near Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas.

Copyright © 2009 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR&rsquos programming is the audio record.

Chief Warrant Officer Michael Grant Cahill (Ret.) of Cameron, Texas

One week after the shooting, Hasan was charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder.

On December 2, 2009, Hasan was charged with 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

He was arraigned on July 20, 2011.

On June 8, 2012, Hasan's hearing was rescheduled after he arrived to court with a beard, which is a violation of military regulations.

A military appeals court halted the murder case indefinitely on August 17, 2012, in order to determine whether the Army could forcibly shave Hasan's beard. Hasan made the argument that his religion requires he wear a beard.

A military appeals court ruled on October 18, 2012, that Hasan could be forcibly shaved.

Hasan was ruled physically fit to represent himself during his court-martial on June 3, 2013.

The court-martial began on August 6, 2013.

Experts say Fort Hood shooter fit profile of rampage killer

He was depressed, according to the Army. He claimed he suffered a brain injury and also had post-traumatic stress.

The search for answers as to why Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire on strangers at Fort Hood on April 2, killing three and wounding 16 before turning the weapon on himself, may take months to resolve, if ever.

Some experts, however, believe that Lopez fits the profile of a typical rampage killer motivated most often by simmering resentment and revenge rather than a sudden burst of rage. Those experts, none of whom knows Lopez, based their assessment on years of study about the dynamics of mass killings.

“The notion of a deranged gunman who suddenly snaps and goes berserk is more myth than reality,” James Alan Fox, professor of criminology at Northeastern University, wrote in an article for CNN last year. “Rather, mass murderers act methodically and with purpose. They see others, often the former boss or supervisor, as the people who are to blame for their miserable existence … the idea of getting even becomes all consuming.”

Media reports have focused on Lopez’s mental health state, such as whether he had PTSD, and suggested that the Army was somehow culpable for failing to treat someone who might be violent.

Rampage shooters do sometimes have apparent serious mental health issues that drew concern before their murderous sprees. They include shooters at the Colorado theater, the Arizona shopping mall, the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., and the Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut. But they all harbored resentments, experts say, and blamed others for what they believed were injustices against them. Whether they could have been stopped in advance is “an exceptionally challenging question” including civil liberties, medical ethics, guns and gun laws, according to the progressive magazine Mother Jones, which did an extensive investigation into mass shootings.

Anne Speckhard, an adjunct associate professor of Psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical School, said she believed that mental health problems were the cause and that Lopez was unstable.

“I see a guy whose mother just died, who according to a friend is ‘enraged’ that he cannot get enough time off to go to her funeral. In the same time frame, he is asking for help and taking medications for anxiety and depression …,” Speckhard said in an email.

“Then he goes to the base, gets in an argument and goes on a shooting spree. This looks like someone who cannot control his emotions or impulses well and was destabilized by something — the deaths in his family, the psychotropic [drugs], the moves, something in his past,” she said. “I think the mental health problems are the best explanation.”

But experts in rampage killings say Lopez’s actions suggest his shooting spree was largely the result of a long-brewing dissatisfaction with his life and his Army career, combined with externalization of blame, or scapegoating.

“Rampage killers are persons who have been humiliated,” said Randall Collins, a sociology professor at the University of Pennsylvania who has studied scores of mass shooters. “What they really want is to fix their image. It’s ‘I’m going to show these people.’ ”

Lopez, 34, was a decade or more older than almost all others of his rank. He became an active-duty soldier in 2010, according to the Army, after years spent at a part-time National Guard job, and according to reports, as a police officer in his native Puerto Rico.

“You go from being a cop — cops always get deferred to — now he’s in the Army, he’s a truck driver, he’s low-ranking. That’s a real drop in status,” Collins said in a phone interview.

Further, changing from being an infantryman to a truck driver as Lopez did in February would also be perceived in the Army as a step down.

Lopez was diagnosed with depression, claiming a traumatic brain injury and was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress. The Army maintains he saw no combat and suffered no injuries in the four months he spent in Iraq in 2011.

Collins said mental health complaints could have been a “sort of a script, almost like a cover story.”

“Other people are making these claims — mental health issues kind of fit into the existing culture. It’s kind of a standard gripe,” he said.

Lopez was incensed, his family said, when commanders declined to give him the amount of leave he requested to attend his mother’s funeral.

The day of the shooting, he’d gotten into a dispute, officials said, apparently about another leave.

That could have been the triggering, rage-inducing humiliation, Collins said.

The fact that the shooting occurred on an Army base isn’t especially notable, experts said. Mass shooters, most of them middle-age men, most often target their families, Fox said, but they also often strike at their place of employment. Younger mass shooters have targeted schools, malls and theaters.

They target hated individuals they believe are responsible for their unhappiness. Or they shoot whomever is present in what Fox calls “murder by proxy.”

“What they want is to reverse the scenario that has dominated their lives — being looked down upon by others in that institution. The habitually dominated seek a moment of dominating others

“This fills their horizon the rampage killer rarely plans what happens next. In all his elaborate planning, he has made no plans for escape,” Collins wrote in September 2012 on his blog, The Sociological Eye. “The mass killing is the final, overwhelming symbolic event of his life.”

The Lopez case is the third time someone associated with Fort Hood committed a public mass shooting in Killeen, Texas.

Maj. Nidal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist and Islamic extremist, killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others at Fort Hood in 2009. Hasan, whose shooting spree ended after he was shot by police, bought his weapons at the same Killeen store where Lopez bought the .45-caliber Smith & Wesson semi-automatic handgun he used on his victims before killing himself when confronted by police.

Now on the military’s death row, Hasan claimed he’d killed troops about to deploy to Afghanistan to protect the Taliban, and his actions are widely viewed as ideologically driven terrorism.

But he also fit the profile of a mass murderer: a middle-age outsider discontent with his job and powerless to change it. The Army categorized the event as workplace violence.

Less often mentioned is the so-called Luby’s massacre in 1991. Unemployed merchant seaman George Hennard, 35, crashed his pickup truck through the front window of a local cafeteria then shot 50 people, killing 23, before killing himself.

Hennard’s father was an Army colonel, a surgeon and the commander of Fort Hood’s Darnall Army Community Hospital in the late 1970s.

But the Lopez case is similar to that of Sgt. John M. Russell, 44, who shot five people at a combat-stress clinic on the outskirts of Baghdad in 2009.

At his court-martial, Russell’s defense claimed that Russell, on his third deployment, was suicidal. He’d “snapped,” according to his lawyers, because of maltreatment from incompetent mental health providers.

But prosecution witnesses told of an aging, unsuccessful soldier who struggled at work.

Prosecutors said that Russell grew irate and ultimately murderous because he was not being evacuated out of Iraq after saying he was suicidal, that he blamed clinic workers and wanted revenge. They pointed out that after he stormed out of the clinic, he stole a truck and an M16 and returned to the clinic, a drive that took some 40 minutes. He smoked a cigarette, removed identification tags and the rifle’s optical sight, slipped in the back door, and started firing. Russell was sentenced to life without parole last year.

CorrectionThe date of the Fort Hood killings was incorrect. The story should have said that Maj. Nidal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist and Islamic extremist, killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others at Fort Hood in 2009.

By giving us your email, you are opting in to the Army Times Daily News Roundup.

“When I arrived last night, I stopped and paid my respects at the Fort Hood Nov. 5 Memorial,” Pence said. “I walked by the columns dedicated — each individual one — to the 13 men and women who fell that day. And I was deeply moved — moved by the tributes to all of those that were lost.”

/>A stone memorial stands in honor of those killed during the Nov. 5, 2009, shootings at Fort Hood, Texas. (Master Sgt. Jacob Caldwell/Army)

“Like Staff Sgt. Amy Krueger, who was preparing for a tour of duty in Afghanistan before that fateful day,” Pence added. “Or Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, who had just gotten married two months before. Or Pfc. Francheska Velez, who had just returned from a tour of duty in Iraq and was expecting her first child.”

Those killed in the attack:

  • Michael Grant Cahill, 62, civilian physician assistant, retired chief warrant officer.
  • Libardo Eduardo Caraveo, 52, major.
  • Justin Michael DeCrow, 32, staff sergeant.
  • John P. Gaffaney, 56, captain.
  • Frederick Greene, 29, specialist.
  • Jason Dean Hunt, 22, specialist.
  • Amy Sue Krueger, 29, sergeant.
  • Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, private first class.
  • Michael S. Pearson, 22, private first class.
  • Russell Gilbert Seager, 51, captain.
  • Francheska Velez, 21, private first class.
  • Juanita L. Warman, 55, lieutenant colonel.
  • Kham See Xiong, 23, private first class.

The victims of the shooting were awarded Purple Hearts in 2015, after an intervention by Congress.

Legislators added an amendment to the 2015 defense spending bill that extended Purple Heart eligibility to attacks in which an individual “was in communication with the foreign terrorist organization before the attack,” and was “inspired or motivated” by a terror group.

Hasan was known to be in communication with the Yemeni-American imam Anwar al-Awlaki, an infamous al-Qaida propagandist, prior to carrying out his attack. Awlaki never gave Hasan any explicit directives and the Army major’s radicalization likely began earlier than his emails with the cleric, according to a 2018 review of Hasan’s case by George Washington University’s Program on Extremism.

Awlaki was ultimately killed by drone-launched Hellfire missiles in September 2011.

During his visit to Fort Hood last week, Pence also addressed the families of those killed in the attack and the more than 30 wounded survivors.

“The American people are with you, and this nation will never forget or fail to honor the service and sacrifice of our heroes who fell on November 5, 2009," Pence said.

Army officer accused of Fort Hood massacre back in court

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Army Major Nidal Hasan, charged with killing 13 people during a 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, was at a military court at the base on Wednesday for a hearing on his request to change the venue of his court martial trial and other procedural issues.

A military judge last month set July 1 for the start of the court martial for Hasan, who has been in custody since the shooting rampage that also wounded 32 people. Hasan faces the death penalty if convicted.

Selection of a jury, or panel in military law terminology, is scheduled to begin in May.

Judge Colonel Tara Osborn has been trying to get the trial schedule on track after extensive delays while the military justice system debated whether Hasan, who is Muslim, should be required to shave his beard to comply with military rules.

Osborn has put that issue aside.

Jeffrey Addicott, a retired Army Special Forces Judge Advocate General, said Osborne probably will refuse the request to move the trial to another base.

“This is such a high profile case that you can’t go to any military installation in the world and find a panel which has not heard about this case,” Addicott said.

The Army has said that the officers who will make up Hasan’s jury will be brought in from another post, probably Fort Sill in Oklahoma.

Hasan is accused of jumping onto a table in an office at Ft. Hood on November 5, 2009 and shooting a pistol at soldiers who were preparing for deployment to the Middle East.

The rampage ended when two civilian police officers shot Hasan, leaving him permanently paralyzed from the chest down. He has appeared in court in a wheelchair.

Other possible topics for Wednesday’s hearing include defense objections to the testimony of terrorism expert Evan Kohlmann, who prosecutors hope will help them show Hasan planned the attack as a terrorist act.

Osborn has denied a request by Hasan’s lawyers that the death penalty be removed from consideration in return for a guilty plea.

Hasan could also decide to plead guilty to lesser charges, including 32 specifications of attempted capital murder. Richard Rosen, former Staff Judge Advocate at Ft. Hood and now a law professor at Texas Tech University, expects that option would lead to hard questions from the judge.

Rosen said Hasan may need to tell the court that he accepts responsibility for his actions. “Nothing Hasan has said or done to date leads me to believe he has any remorse for his actions,” Rosen said.

Geoffrey Corn, a former Lieutenant Colonel in the Army Judge Advocate Corps and now a professor at the South Texas College of Law in Houston, said expressing regret could be important if Hasan hopes to avoid the death penalty.

“The only thing he can offer would be a willingness to accept responsibility and show his remorse.”

But the military law experts said they do not expect any guilty plea from Hasan to come at this hearing, and that is more likely just before the trial begins.

Corn said that after years of wrangling, Osborn is unlikely to accept any defense requests which would delay the court martial.

“I think she is sensitive to the fact that this has dragged on for a long time, and it’s time to get this case to trial,” he said.

Army major kills 13 people in Fort Hood shooting spree

Lt Col Charlie Brown

Army major kills 13 people in Fort Hood shooting spree

http://www.answeringmuslims.com/ Long before he murdered more than a dozen people at Fort Hood, Major Nidal Malik Hasan argued that the Qurɺn supports offen.

Thank you my friend Lt Col Charlie Brown for reminding us that on November 5, 2009 Army psychiatrist Major Nidal Malik Hasan, killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others nearly all of them unarmed soldiers.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan's PowerPoint Presentation on Muslims in the Military

Hopefully President Donald Trump will resume executions at Fort Leavenworth beginning with Nidal Malik Hasan.

1. Individuals that Nadal Malik Hasan killed on November 5, 2009 Michael Grant Cahill, 62, of Cameron, a civilian physician's assistant, killed while he was trying to subdue the shooter.
Capt. John P Gaffaney, 56, Sierra Mesas, California, also shot while charging the shooter.
Spc. Frederick Greene, 29, Mountain City, Tennessee, also shot while trying to subdue the shooter.
Maj. Libardo Eduardo Caraveo, Woodbridge, Virginia.
Staff Sgt. Justin Michael DeCrow, 32, Plymouth, Indiana, shot in the chest.
Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, 22, Norman, Oklahoma, shot in the back.
Staff Sgt. Amy Sue Krueger, 29, Keil, Washington, shot in the chest.
Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, West Jordon, Utah, shot in the chest.
Pfc. Michael S. Pearson, 22, Bolingbrook, Illinois, shot in the chest.
Capt. Russell Gilbert Seager, 51, Racine, Washington.
Pfc. Francheska Velez, 21, Chicago, Illinois, shot in the chest, and was pregnant when she died. Her unborn baby, who died as well, has never been counted among the fatalities individually.
Lt. Col. Juanita L. Warman, 55, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, shot in the Abdomen.
Pfc. Kham See Xiong, 23, Saint Paul, Minnesota, shot in the head.

2. Retired Col. Kathy Platoni, left, returns a salute to President Trump during an Aug. 7, 2019, visit with shooting victims at Miami Valley Hospital near Dayton, Ohio.

3. Staff Sgt. Patrick Zeigler, his wife, Jessica, and their son, Liam, enjoy a moment in the sun together outside Fort Hood's Survivor Outreach Services building while waiting for the verdict in the court martial of Maj. Nidal Hasan, who was accused of carrying out the Nov. 5, 2009 shooting rampage that killed 13 and wounded 32, Aug. 26, 2009. Zeigler was getting cleared to attend officer candidate school when he was shot four times in the incident, including once in the head which necessitated the removal of 20 percent of his brain. Hasan was found guilty less than an hour after this photo was taken, and sentenced to death two days later. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ken Scar, 7th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)

4. Army Chief of Staff George Casey shakes hands with Cpl. Jonothan Rivera during a visit at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, April 28, 2010 to check on the well-being of Soldiers who had been affected by the Fort Hood shootings while processing for their current deployment

Ten years ago on Thursday Nov. 5, 2009, a day that had dawned chilly but bright in Killeen, quickly turned bloody as a U.S. Army psychiatrist walked into an on-post resiliency center and began shooting.
Nidal Malik Hasan fatally shot 13 people and injured more than 30 others, before Fort Hood civilian police Sergeant Mark Todd shot him, ending the rampage.
Of the 13 killed, 11 died at the scene and two others died later, after being taken to hospitals.
One of those killed was pregnant, yet her baby who also died, never has been individually counted on the list of victims.
The shooting still ranks as the worst mass shooting at a military installation in U.S. history.
Hasan’s wounds left him paralyzed from the waist down, but shortly thereafter he was formally charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
Those were the charges he faced at court-martial that began Aug. 7, 2013 during which Hasan acted as his own attorney.
He admitted he was the gunman in his opening statement and had beforehand told a judge that he had gunned down the soldiers at Fort Hood who were being deployed to protect Muslims and Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.
Hasan called no witnesses, presented only scant evidence and made no closing argument.
On Aug. 23, 2013, the court-martial jury found him guilty of all 42 counts, and then five days later set his punishment at death.
Hasan, dressed in Army fatigues, showed no reaction as the 13-member panel of senior officers handed down the death sentence.
If the decision had not been unanimous, Hasan would have been sentenced to life in prison, instead.
The panel also stripped Hasan of pay and other financial benefits, which he had continued to receive while in custody before conviction.
Hasan was flown to Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he is one of six service members awaiting execution on the military’s death row.
Those who care for him there, along with his lawyer, John Galligan, of Belton, say it’s far more likely he’ll die from his injuries than by execution.
No active-duty service member has been executed since 1961, and legal experts said it will probably be many years, if ever, before the sentence will be carried out.

Hasan shouted “Allahu Akbar” and then opened fire
Ultimately investigation showed Hasan, at 1:34 p.m. on Nov, 5, 2009, walked into the Soldier Readiness Center, the place where soldiers went for routine medical attention in advance of deployment, just prior to shipping out to Afghanistan.
Hasan was carrying an FN 5-7 handgun he’d fitted with two laser sights, one red and one green, and an older model Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver, which he didn’t use.
He stopped at the first desk inside the north door and asked to see a Maj. Parrish, an officer who’d been assisting Hasan preparing for deployment.
A witness said the soldier manning the desk got up and went down a hallway to find the officer and while he was gone, Hasan slipped behind his desk, for several seconds bowed his head as if in prayer, abruptly stood up, shouted "Allahu Akbar!" (Arabic: God is great) and started indiscriminately spraying the room with gunfire.
After first firing randomly, the witness said, Hasan began targeting individual soldiers and shooting them.
U.S. Army Reserve Capt. John P Gaffney ran at Hasan as he fired, but was mortally wounded before reaching him, as was civilian physician assistant Michael Cahill of Cameron who charged Hasan with a chair but was shot and killed.
Army Reserve Spc. Logan Burnett, just seconds later as he threw a table at Hasan, was shot in the left hip, fell and was able to crawl to safety in a nearby office cubicle.
Another Army specialist who was at the back of the building where Parrish worked, severely cut his hand when he broke out an office window through which Parrish, two other soldiers and he were able to escape into a parking lot.
Hasan still was roaming the building, targeting and shooting soldiers as he went, but though he had several opportunities, he didn’t fire on civilians for the most part, instead opting for uniformed soldiers as targets.
“At one point, Hasan reportedly approached a group of five civilians hiding under a desk,” a U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division report issued after the incident noted.
“He looked at them, swept the dot of his pistol's laser sight over one of the men's faces, and turned away without firing.”
Deputy Director of Human Resources for Fort Hood Lt. Col. Tom Eberhart arrived, rushed inside the medical building to offer help and later recalled he had to step over bodies to enter the building's north door.
He recalled folding chairs being strewn about the room in the building’s waiting area and while there assisted another soldier performing CPR on a wounded man, then noticed a soldier outside the south doors and went to him to help.
Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford, a medical assistant from the building, lay unconscious and had two wounds to his abdomen and one in his scalp.
Eberhart commandeered a table and he and other soldiers placed Lunsford on it and took him inside to triage.
On the other side of the building Hasan had moved outside but still was firing at soldiers when civilian police Sgt. Kimberly Munley encountered him.
The two immediately exchanged gunfire that left Munley wounded in the hand by shrapnel, then two bullets struck Munley, the first in her thigh and a second one hit her knee.
The investigator’s report noted Hasan walked up to Munley, kicked her pistol out of reach, but did not kill her.
As the rampage continued outside, nurses and others rushed into the building trying to aid the wounded and dying, but: “according to the responding nurses, there was so much blood covering the floor inside the building, that they were unable to maintain balance, and had difficulty reaching the wounded to help them,” the CID report said.
Herman Toro, Director of the Soldier Readiness Center, got to the scene just as Hasan went around an outside corner, out of sight, but still shooting.
“Toro and another site worker rushed to assist Lt. Col. Juanita Warman who was down on the ground north of the medical building,” the report says.
They grabbed her by the arms and were trying to take her to safety when Hasan returned.
Toro told investigators he watched as the red laser sight dot from Hasan’s pistol danced across his chest, but he did not fire.
Toro took cover behind an electrical box and from there saw Todd arrive, confront and shout commands at Hasan to surrender.
"Then he turned and fired a couple of rounds at me,” Toro recalled, but “I didn't hear him say a word, he just turned and fired."
Toro later would testify he watched as Todd and Hasan exchanged gunfire until Hasan emptied his weapon, then as he was digging for another magazine, was felled by five shots from Todd.
Todd “ran over to him, kicked the pistol out of his hand, and put handcuffs on him as he fell unconscious,” Todd said.
Within about 10 minutes the shooting was over, but the carnage left behind was just unfolding.
At first police thought there were three gunmen and for a time two other soldiers were detained, but they subsequently were released after investigators discovered they weren’t involved.

Hasan was prepared to kill more
Investigators reported they found 146 spent shell casings inside the building and 68 more outside, accounting for 214 rounds being fired either by Hasan or officers who subdued him.
Pretrial testimony showed Hasan, on July 31, 2009, purchased the FN Five-seven semi-automatic pistol that he would use in the attack.
Army Spc. William Gilbert, a regular customer at the gun store, said Hasan walked in and asked for "the most technologically advanced weapon on the market and the one with the highest standard magazine capacity".
Hasan was asked what he wanted the pistol for, but refused to answer, Gilbert said.
Hasan left, saying he wanted to research the weapon, then returned the next day and purchased it.
Over the next few weeks he visited the store once a week to buy extra magazines, along with 3,000 total rounds of 5.7x28mm SS192 and SS197SR ammunition.
In the weeks prior to the attack, Hasan visited an outdoor shooting range in Florence, where he honed his skills at hitting silhouette targets at distances of up to 100 yards, trial testimony showed.
No soldiers at the readiness center were armed because the Army prohibits soldiers from carrying personal weapons while in uniform.
In addition to the expended rounds, one of the medics who treated Hasan at the scene reported to investigators “he was still carrying 177 rounds of unfired ammunition in his pockets, contained in both 20- and 30-round magazines.”
The investigation was intense and from the beginning involved both military and civilian law enforcement groups, including the lead investigators from CID, augmented by the local civilian police investigators, Texas Rangers, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers, Bell County Sheriff’s deputies and FBI agents from field offices in San Antonio, Austin and Waco.
Bell County played a major role in the story as Hasan waited for court martial because it was in the Bell County Jail where Hasan was housed for almost four years.
The jail had to build a hospital intensive care unit in the jail infirmary where Hasan was housed after he was released from an Army hospital and was awaiting court martial.

Colleagues were concerned about Hasan’s increasing radicalization
The son of Palestinian immigrants who ran a Roanoke restaurant and convenience store Hasan was born in Virginia, graduated from Virginia Tech completed his psychiatry training at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2003 and moved on to residency at Walter Reed Medical Center in in Washington, D.C. where he was tasked with treating soldiers returning from war with post-traumatic stress disorder.
He promoted to major in May 2009, and two months later was sent to Fort Hood, at the time the largest active-duty U.S. military post in the world, where more than 50,000 military personnel were stationed, along with thousands more family members and civilian personnel.
Reports surfaced within days in the media that a Joint Terrorism Task Force had been aware of a series of e-mails between Hasan and the Yemen-based Imam Anwar al-Awlaki, a known NSA security threat.
The reports also indicated Hasan's colleagues had been aware of, and concerned about, his increasing radicalization for several years.
On May 17, 2007, One of Hasan's supervisors at Walter Reed sent the memo to the Walter Reed credentials committee that read: "Memorandum for: Credentials Committee. Subject: CPT Nidal Hasan."
The document warns: “The Faculty has serious concerns about CPT Hasan's professionalism and work ethic. . He demonstrates a pattern of poor judgment and a lack of professionalism."
Maj. Scott Moran, chief of psychiatric residents at Walter Reed, signed the memo.
Two leading psychiatrists who later saw the memo said it was so damning, it might could have ruined Hasan's career had he applied for a job outside the Army.

Heroic acts honored
Five days after the rampage, then President Barack Obama spoke at a post memorial service for the 13 victims of the shooting rampage.
“This is a time of war. Yet these Americans did not die on a foreign field of battle. They were killed here, on American soil, in the heart of this great state and the heart of this great American community. This is the fact that makes the tragedy even more painful, even more incomprehensible,” he said.
“For those families who have lost a loved one, no words can fill the void that's been left. We knew these men and women as soldiers and caregivers. You knew them as mothers and fathers sons and daughters sisters and brothers,” he said.
“But here is what you must also know: Your loved ones endure through the life of our nation. Their memory will be honored in the places they lived and by the people they touched. Their life's work is our security, and the freedom that we all too often take for granted. Every evening that the sun sets on a tranquil town every dawn that a flag is unfurled every moment that an American enjoys life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness -- that is their legacy.”
On Nov. 5, 2010, the first anniversary of the shootings, 52 individuals received awards for their actions on the day of the massacre.
They included a posthumous award pf the Soldier's Medal to Capt. John Gaffaney, who died trying to charge the shooter and that decoration was presented to seven other soldiers, as well.
The Soldier's Medal is awarded to any person of the United States armed services who, while serving in any capacity with the military of the United States, including reserves who are not serving on active duty at the time of the heroic act, distinguished himself or herself by heroism not involving conflict with an enemy, the Department of Defense website says.
"It is the highest honor a soldier can receive for an act of valor in a non-combat situation, held to be equal to or greater than the level which would have justified an award of the Distinguished Flying Cross or Distinguished Service Cross had the act occurred in combat," the DOD says.
For enlisted men and women the Soldier's Medal comes with an extra benefit: "Any enlisted American service member who is eligible for retirement pay will receive an increase of 10 percent in retirement pay, if the level of valor was equal to that which would earn the (Distinguished Flying Cross or Distinguished Service Cross."
Civilian police Sgts. Kimberly Munley and Mark Todd were awarded the Secretary of the Army Award for Valor for their roles in neutralizing the shooter that day.
The May 23, 2011, civilian physician's assistant Michael Cahill, who died while charging Hasan with a chair, posthumously was awarded the Army Award for Valor.
Finally, on Feb. 6, 2015, the Department of Defense, in a news release, announced then Secretary of the Army John M. McHugh had approved awarding the Purple Heart and its civilian counterpart, the Secretary of Defense Medal for the Defense of Freedom, to all victims of the shooting.

Fort Hood’s dead
Michael Grant Cahill, 62, of Cameron, a civilian physician's assistant, killed while he was trying to subdue the shooter.
Capt. John P Gaffaney, 56, Sierra Mesas, California, also shot while charging the shooter.
Spc. Frederick Greene, 29, Mountain City, Tennessee, also shot while trying to subdue the shooter.
Maj. Libardo Eduardo Caraveo, Woodbridge, Virginia.
Staff Sgt. Justin Michael DeCrow, 32, Plymouth, Indiana, shot in the chest.
Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, 22, Norman, Oklahoma, shot in the back.
Staff Sgt. Amy Sue Krueger, 29, Keil, Washington, shot in the chest.
Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, West Jordon, Utah, shot in the chest.
Pfc. Michael S. Pearson, 22, Bolingbrook, Illinois, shot in the chest.
Capt. Russell Gilbert Seager, 51, Racine, Washington.
Pfc. Francheska Velez, 21, Chicago, Illinois, shot in the chest, and was pregnant when she died. Her unborn baby, who died as well, has never been counted among the fatalities individually.
Lt. Col. Juanita L. Warman, 55, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, shot in the Abdomen.
Pfc. Kham See Xiong, 23, Saint Paul, Minnesota, shot in the head.

Fort Hood’s wounded
Spc. James Armstrong, leg wound Sgt. Patrick Blue, III, struck by bullet fragments Spc. Keara Bono Torkelson, shoulder and head wounds Spc. Logan M. Burnett, shot in the hip, left elbow and hand Spc. Alan Carroll, shot in the upper right arm, right bicep, left side of back, and left leg Capt. Dorothy Carskadon, Shot in the leg, hip, and stomach, grazed on the forehead and permanently disabled.
Also wounded were Staff Sgt. Joy Clark, shot in forearm Spc. Matthew D. Cooke, shot five times in the head, back, groin and buttocks Staff Sgt. Chad Davis, shot in the shoulder Pvt. Mick Engnehl, shot in the shoulder and neck Pvt. Joseph T. Foster, shot in the hip Pvt. Amber Bahr Gadlin, shot in the back and Sgt. Nathan Hewitt, shot twice in the leg.
Sgt. Alvin Howard was shot in the left shoulder Pvt. Najee M Hull was shot in the knee and twice in the back Staff Sgt. Eric Williams Jackson was shot in the right arm Pvt. Justin T. Johnson was shot twice in the back and in the foot Staff Sgt. Alonzo M. Lunsford, Jr. was shot seven times, including in the head Staff Sgt. Shawn M. Manning was grazed in the lower right side, and shot in the left upper chest, left back, lower right thigh, upper right thigh, and right foot and Staff Sgt. Paul Martin was shot in the arm, leg, and back.
Also wounded in the melee was 2nd Lt. Brandy Mason who was shot in the hip Spc. Grant Moxon, shot in the leg civilian police Sgt. Kimberly Munley, shot twice in the leg and grazed in the hand Spc. John Pagel, shot through his left arm bullet traveled into left side of his chest Spc. Dayna Ferguson Roscoe, shot in the arm, shoulder, and thigh and CWO Christopher H. Royal, who was wounded by gunfire and in the days following the incident started a nonprofit foundation called "32 Still Standing" to raise money to support the survivors.
Lastly the wounded list includes Maj. Randy Royer, shot in the arm and leg Spc. Jonathan Sims, shot in the chest and back Spc. George O. Stratton, III, shot in the shoulder Staff Sgt. Patrick Zeigler, shot in the left shoulder, left forearm, left hip, and left side of the head Sgt. Miguel A. Valdivia, shot in the right thigh and left hip and Staff Sgt. Thuan Nguyen was shot in the thigh.

BELL COUNTY, Texas (KWTX)--When Fort Hood called for help on Nov. 5, 2009, every local agency responded to lend a hand, but in the long run, no hometown agency took on more responsibility than did Bell County. Bell County Chief Deputy Sheriff Chuck Cox said from the beginning he knew the county would shoulder much of the responsibility for holding Hasan and moving back-and-forth to court dates and trial.
Bell County Sheriff Eddie Lange was elected and took office about eight months before the Hasan story had a local end, Cox said, but Lange has studied the event and, though not concrete, estimates Bell County was reimbursed about $1.7 million from the federal government to cover costs associated with housing and moving Hasan.
"The monkey kind of was already on our back prior to that time," Cox said, himself and former military policeman who was assigned to Fort Hood during his tour.
Cox said many years before the shooting, the Department of the Army began closing stockade facilities on Army posts and instead began contracting with civilian authorities to house soldiers who were accused of crimes or being held pending court martial.
Hasan presented a special challenge, mainly because he was, and still is, bedridden, unable to stand or walk, injuries which resulted from his being shot by police. "The government realized early on that there would be special issues with this case, so they amended the contract between the Army and Bell County to recognize those requirements and take them into account," Cox said.
Hasan was transferred to the Bell County Jail on April 9, 2010 and "he lived in the infirmary," Cox said.
"At first he was on a 24-hour watch," Cox said, "there was a uniformed deputy sitting at a small desk, watching through the infirmary window and making notes every 15 minutes. "Later that changed to a 12-hour watch."
Cox said Hasan, like all other military prisoners, was held separate from the jail's general population.
The other responsibility Bell County shouldered was transporting Hasan to court dates as his court martial drew near.
"We had two ways to move him, on the ground or by air," Cox said. He said most of Hasan's movement to Fort Hood was by air.
"But when we had to move him by ground, we had a team leader and a whole team that took part in that, all paid on overtime," Cox said.
Hasan flew out for the last time on August 20, 2013, after spending 1,239 days in the Bell County Jail, and on that day "I actually went out to the perimeter and watched as that helicopter took off," Cox said.
"Usually it would turn northwest, headed for post, but that day I was very happy to see it turn southwest, toward Gray Army Airfield, and then on to Leavenworth." (Paul J. Gately)

Army Doctor Held in Ft. Hood Rampage

An Army psychiatrist facing deployment to one of America’s war zones killed 13 people and wounded 30 others on Thursday in a shooting rampage with two handguns at the sprawling Fort Hood Army post in central Texas, military officials said.

It was one of the worst mass shootings ever at a military base in the United States.

The gunman, who was still alive after being shot four times, was identified by law enforcement authorities as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, who had been in the service since 1995. Major Hasan was about to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, said Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican of Texas.

Clad in a military uniform and firing an automatic pistol and another weapon, Major Hasan, a balding, chubby-faced man with heavy eyebrows, sprayed bullets inside a crowded medical processing center for soldiers returning from or about to be sent overseas, military officials said.

The victims, nearly all military personnel but including two civilians, were cut down in clusters, the officials said. Witnesses told military investigators that medics working at the center tore open the clothing of the dead and wounded to get at the wounds and administer first aid.

As the shooting unfolded, military police and civilian officers of the Department of the Army responded and returned the gunman’s fire, officials said, adding that Major Hasan was shot by a first-responder, who was herself wounded in the exchange.

In the confusion of a day of wild and misleading reports, the major and the officer who shot him were both reported killed in the gun battle, but both reports were erroneous.

Eight hours after the shootings, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, a base spokesmen, said Major Hasan, whom he described as the sole gunman, had been shot four times, but was hospitalized off the base, under around-the-clock guard, in stable condition and was not in imminent danger of dying.

Another military spokesman listed the major’s condition as critical. The condition of the officer who shot the gunman was not given.

Major Hasan was not speaking to investigators, and much about his background — and his motives — were unknown.

General Cone said that terrorism was not being ruled out, but that preliminary evidence did not suggest that the rampage had been an act of terrorism. Fox News quoted a retired Army colonel, Terry Lee, as saying that Major Hasan, with whom he worked, had voiced hope that President Obama would pull American troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, had argued with military colleagues who supported the wars and had tried to prevent his own deployment.


As a parade of ambulances wailed to the scene of the shootings, officials said the extent of injuries to the wounded varied significantly, with some in critical condition and others lightly wounded. General Cone praised the first-responders and the medics who acted quickly to administer first aid at the scene.

“Horrible as this was, I think it could have been much worse,” the general said.

The rampage recalled other mass shootings in the United States, including 13 killed at a center for immigrants in upstate New York last April, the deaths of 10 during a gunman’s rampage in Alabama in March and 32 people killed at Virginia Tech in 2007, the deadliest shooting in modern American history.

As a widespread investigation by the military, the F.B.I., and other agencies began, much about the assault in Texas remained unclear. Department of Homeland Security officials said the Army would take the lead in the investigation.

A federal law enforcement official said the F.B.I. was sending more agents to join the inquiry. On Thursday night, F.B.I. agents were interviewing residents of a townhouse complex in the Washington suburb of Kensington, Md., where Major Hasan had lived before moving to Texas.

Mr. Obama called the shootings “a horrific outburst of violence” and urged Americans to pray for those who were killed and wounded.

“It is difficult enough when we lose these men and women in battles overseas,” he said. “It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil.”

The president pledged “to get answers to every single question about this horrible incident.”

Military records indicated that Major Hasan was single, had been born in Virginia, had never served abroad and listed “no religious preference” on his personnel records. Three other soldiers, their roles unclear, were taken into custody in connection with the rampage. The office of Representative John Carter, Republican of Texas, said they were later released, but a Fort Hood spokesman could not confirm that. General Cone said that more than 100 people had been questioned during the day.

Fort Hood, near Killeen and 100 miles south of Dallas-Fort Worth, is the largest active duty military post in the United States, 340 square miles of training and support facilities and homes, a virtual city for more than 50,000 military personnel and some 150,000 family members and civilian support personnel. It has been a major center for troops being deployed to or returning from service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The base went into lockdown shortly after the shootings. Gates were closed and barriers put up at all entrance and exit checkpoints, and the military police turned away all but essential personnel. Schools on the base were closed, playgrounds were deserted and sidewalks were empty. Sirens wailed across the base through the afternoon, a warning to military personnel and their families to remain indoors.

Military commanders were instructed to account for all personnel on the base.

“The immediate concern is to make sure that all of our soldiers and family members are safe, and that’s what commanders have been instructed to do,” said Jay Adams of the First Army, Division West, at Ford Hood.

General Cone said the shooting took place about 1:30 p.m., inside a complex of buildings that he called a Soldier Readiness Processing Center. The type of weapons used was unclear, and it was not known whether the gunman had reloaded, although it seemed likely, given that 43 people were shot, perhaps more than once.

All the victims were gunned down “in the same area,” General Cone said.

As the shootings ended, scores of emergency vehicles rushed to the scene, which is in the center of the fort, and dozens of ambulances carried the shooting victims to hospitals in the region.

Both of the handguns used by Major Hasan were recovered at the scene, officials said. Investigators said the major’s computers, cellphones and papers would be examined, his past investigated and his friends, relatives and military acquaintances would be interviewed in an effort to develop a profile of him and try to learn what had motivated his deadly outburst.

Major Hasan was assigned to the Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood.

The weapons used in the attack were described as “civilian” handguns. Security experts said the fact that two handguns had been used suggested premeditation, as opposed to a spontaneous act.

Rifles and assault weapons are conspicuous and not ordinarily seen on the streets of a military post, and medical personnel would have no reason to carry any weapon, they said. Moreover, security experts noted, it took a lot of ammunition to shoot 43 people, another indication of premeditation.

It appeared certain that the shootings would generate a whole new look at questions of security on military posts of all the armed forces in the United States. Expressions of dismay were voiced by public officials across the country.

The Muslim Public Affairs Council, speaking for many American Muslims, condemned the shootings as a “heinous incident” and said, “We share the sentiment of our president.”

The council added, “Our entire organization extends its heartfelt condolences to the families of those killed as well as those wounded and their loved ones.”

General Cone said Fort Hood was “absolutely devastated.”

News of the shooting set off panic among families and friends of the base personnel. Alyssa Marie Seace’s husband, Pfc. Ray Seace Jr., sent her a text message just before 2 p.m. saying that someone had “shot up the S.R.P. building,” referring to the Soldier Readiness Processing Center. He told her he was “hiding.”

Ms. Seace, 18, who lives about five minutes from the base and had not been watching the news, reacted with alarm. She texted him back but got no response. She called her father in Connecticut, who told her not to call her husband because it might reveal his hiding place.

Finally, 45 minutes later, her husband, a mechanic who is scheduled to deploy to Iraq in February, texted back to say that three people from his unit had been hit and that a dozen people in all were dead.

By late afternoon, the sirens at Fort Hood had fallen silent. In Killeen, state troopers were parked on ridges overlooking the two main highways through town. In residential areas, the only signs of life were cars moving through the streets. In the business districts, people went about their business.

In 1991, Killeen was the scene of one of the worst mass killings in American history. A gunman drove his pickup truck through the window of a cafeteria, fatally shot 22 people with a handgun, then killed himself.

Fort Hood, opened in September 1942 as America geared up for World War II, was named for Gen. John Bell Hood of the Confederacy. It has been used continuously for armor training and is charged with maintaining readiness for combat missions.

It is a place that feels, on ordinary days, like one of the safest in the world, surrounded by those who protect the nation with their lives. It is home to nine schools — seven elementary schools and two middle schools, for the children of personnel. But on Thursday, the streets were lined with emergency vehicles, their lights flashing and sirens piercing the air as Texas Rangers and state troopers took up posts at the gates to seal the base.

Shortly after 7 p.m., the sirens sounded again and over the loudspeakers a woman’s voice that could be heard all over the base announced in a clipped military fashion: “Declared emergency no longer exists.”

The gates reopened, and a stream of cars and trucks that had been bottled up for hours began to move out.

The military psychiatrist accused of shooting 13 people dead during a rampage at a U.S. army base is awake and talking, hospital staff said today.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan was in a coma after being shot several times by a civilian police officer responding to the attack at Fort Hood in Texas last Thursday.

But officials at the Brooke Army Medical Centre in San Antonio confirmed today that he was conscious.

Maria Gallegos, spokeswoman for the hospital, said: 'He is conversing with the medical staff.'

Rampage: Video footage shows Major Nidal Malik Hasan shopping at a 7-11 store just outside Fort Hood, Texas, seven hours before he shot 13 people dead

Ms Gallegos added that she was not sure if the suspect had spoken to investigators yet.

Hasan awoke as it was revealed that he apparently attended the same Virginia mosque as two September 11 hijackers in 2001, a time when a radical imam preached there.

Whether Hasan associated with the hijackers is something the FBI will probably look into, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

The family of the Army psychiatrist who killed 13 and wounded 29 at the Texas military base, held his mother's funeral at the Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Virginia, on May 31, 2001, according to her obituary in the Roanoke Times newspaper.

At the time, Anwar Aulaqi was an imam, or spiritual leader, at the Washington-area mosque. Aulaqi told the FBI in 2001 that, before he moved to Virginia in early 2001, he met with 9/11 hijacker Nawaf al-Hazmi several times in San Diego. Al-Hazmi was at the time living with Khalid al-Mihdhar, another hijacker.

Al-Hazmi and another hijacker, Hani Hanjour, attended the Dar al Hijrah mosque in Virginia in early April 2001. In his FBI interview, Aulaqi denied ever meeting with al-Hazmi and Hanjour while in Virginia. Shaker Elsayed, the current imam at Dar Al Hijrah, declined to comment.

Taking aim: Kim Munley who shot Major Nidal Malik Hasan at the Fort Hood shooting in Texas takes aim at a rifle range

Heroine: Kim Munley, a civilian police officer, is the woman who brought Hasan down by shooting him four times before he could slaughter more people

The new details emerged as police revealed that the lightly-built police heroine who is credited with halting the Fort Hood massacre almost died at the scene after losing half the blood in her body.

Mother of one Sergeant Kimberley Munley confronted gunman Nidal Malik Hasan and, despite being wounded in both legs, brought him down with four shots.

One of the shots cut an artery in her leg, leaving blood pumping out but she still managed to keep firing before collapsing.

Medic Francisco Delaserna applied a tourniquet to Sgt Munley as she drifted in and out of consciousness because of blood loss.

'I cut her trousers oopen, tied a tourniquet around her thigh and stopped the bleeding. But she had already lost a lot of blood,' he said.

He then moved on to treat Hasan, the man he had just seen shooting his fellow soldiers.

Army psychiatrist Major Hasan had killed 13 and left 31 injured after he jumped on to a desk screaming 'Allahu Akbar' - God in Great - and fired on defenceless colleagues.

He then moved on to treat Hasan, the man he had just seen shooting his fellow soldiers.

Army psychiatrist Major Hasan had killed 13 and left 31 injured after he jumped on to a desk screaming 'Allahu Akbar' - God in Great - and fired on defenceless colleagues.

But the carnage would have been even greater were it not for the actions of Sergeant Munley who minutes earlier had been directing traffic.

The revelations come as the U.S. Army chief of staff says it's important for the U.S. not to get caught up in speculation about the Muslim faith of the alleged Fort Hood gunman.

Gen. George Casey says he's instructed his commanders to be on the lookout for that reaction to the killings at the Texas post.

He says focusing on the Islamic roots of the suspected shooter, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, could "heighten the backlash" against all Muslims in the military.

Casey says diversity in the military "gives us strength."

In retrospect, the signs of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's growing anger over the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan seem unmistakable. But even people who worried his increasingly strident views were clouding his ability to serve the U.S. military could not predict the murderous rampage of which he now stands accused.

Crouched behind a wall, armed detectives try to work what is going on during the shooting

Military police take cover during the shooting at the Fort Hood Soldier Readiness Processing Center

In the months leading to Thursday's shooting spree, Hasan raised eyebrows with comments that the war on terror was "a war on Islam" and wrestled with what to tell fellow Muslim solders who had their doubts about fighting in Islamic countries.

"The system is not doing what it's supposed to do," said Dr. Val Finnell, who complained to administrators at a military university about what he considered Hasan's "anti-American" rants. "He at least should have been confronted about these beliefs, told to cease and desist, and to shape up or ship out."

Finnell studied with Hasan from 2007-2008 in the master's program in public health at the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland, where Hasan persistently complained about perceived anti-Muslim sentiment in the military and injected his politics into courses where they had no place.

Army officer Joseph Foster, who was wounded during the Fort Hood shooting, talks to the media with his wife Mandi and 6-month-old daughter Keilee

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan who is currently in hospital. The US military has not revealed when they plan to question him

"In retrospect, I'm not surprised he did it," Finnell said of the shootings. "I had real questions about what his priorities were, what his beliefs were."
Hasan, who was shot by civilian police and taken into custody, was in intensive care but breathing on his own late Saturday at an Army hospital in San Antonio. Officials refused to say if he was talking to investigators.

At least 17 victims remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds, and nine were in intensive care late Saturday. On Sunday, numerous church services honoring the victims were planned both on the post and in neighboring Killeen.

Military criminal investigators continue to refer to Hasan as the only suspect in the shootings but won't say when charges would be filed. "We have not established a motive for the shootings at this time," said Army Criminal Investigative Command spokesman Chris Grey.

A government official speaking on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the case said an initial review of Hasan's computer use has found no evidence of links to terror groups, or anyone who might have helped plan or push him toward the shooting attack.

The review of Hasan's computer is continuing and more evidence could emerge, the source said.
Hasan likely would face military justice rather than federal criminal charges if investigators determine the violence was the work of just one person.

Hasan's family described a man incapable of the attack, calling him a devoted doctor and devout Muslim who showed no signs that he might lash out.

"I've known my brother Nidal to be a peaceful, loving and compassionate person who has shown great interest in the medical field and in helping others," said his brother, Eyad Hasan, of Sterling, Virginia, in a statement. "He has never committed an act of violence and was always known to be a good, law-abiding citizen."

Still, in the days since authorities believe Hasan fired more than 100 rounds in a soldier processing center at Fort Hood in the worst mass shooting on a military facility in the U.S., a picture has emerged of a man who was forcefully opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, was trying to elude his pending deployment to Afghanistan and had struggled professionally in his work as an Army psychiatrist.

"I told him, 'There's something wrong with you,"' Osman Danquah, co-founder of the Islamic Community of Greater Killeen, told The Associated Press on Saturday. "I didn't get the feeling he was talking for himself, but something just didn't seem right."

One of the 30 wounded is transported away on a table by fellow soldiers

Crouching for cover these soldiers try to understand what is going on during the shooting. The soldier in the centre can be seen talking on his mobile phone

Private Marquest Smith, 21, shows how one of the bullets from the shooting became embedded in his boot

Danquah assumed the military's chain of command knew about Hasan's doubts, which had been known for more than a year to classmates at the Maryland graduate military medical program. His fellow students complained to the faculty about Hasan's "anti-American propaganda," but said a fear of appearing discriminatory against a Muslim student kept officers from filing a formal complaint.

Others recalled a pleasant neighbor who forgave a fellow soldier charged with tearing up his "Allah is Love" bumper sticker. A superior officer at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, Colorado. Kimberly Kesling, has said Hasan was quiet with a strong work ethic who provided excellent care for his patients.

Twice this summer, Danquah said, Hasan asked him what to tell soldiers who expressed misgivings about fighting fellow Muslims. The retired Army first sergeant and Gulf War veteran said he reminded Hasan that these soldiers had volunteered to fight, and that Muslims were fighting each other in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Palestinian territories.

"But what if a person gets in and feels that it's just not right?" Danquah recalled Hasan asking him.
"I'd give him my response. It didn't seem settled, you know. It didn't seem to satisfy," he said. "It would be like a person playing the devil's advocate. . I said, 'Look. I'm not impressed by you."'

Danquah said he was disturbed by Hasan's persistent questioning but never told anyone at the sprawling Army post about the talks, because Hasan never expressed anger toward the Army or indicated any plans for violence.

"If I had an inkling that he had this type of inclination or intentions, definitely I would have brought it to their attention," he said.

The victims of the shooting: From top left, Specialist Jason Dean Hunt, 22 Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29 Private Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19 Michael Grant Cahill, 62 Private Kham Xiong, 23 Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow, 32. From bottom left, Private Michael Pearson, 21 Russell Seager, 51 Francheska Velez, 21 Capt. John Gaffaney, 56 and Major L. Eduardo Caraveo, 52

From left, Imam Syed Ahmed Ali, Chaplain Jason Palmer, and Chaplain Ira Houck sit together at the Islamic Community Center in Killeen, Texas. The chaplains paid a visit to the imam to extend an invitation to the memorial service being held on Tuesday, for victims of a mass shooting

Dar al-Hijrah mosque in Great Falls, Virginia where Major Nidal Malik Hasan worshipped

Hasan was promoted from captain to major in 2008, the same year he graduated from the master's program. Bernard Rostker, a military personnel expert at the Rand Corp., said a shortage of officers and psychiatrists meant Hasan's advancement was all but certain absent a serious blemish on his record, such as a DUI or a drug charge.

Hasan reportedly jumped up on a desk and shouted "Allahu akbar!" - Arabic for "God is great!" - at the start of Thursday's attack.

"Hopefully, they can put together the pieces and find out what in the world was in his mind and why he went crazy," Danquah said. "Aaaaah, it's sad. Those soldiers could have been my soldiers."

Army major kills 13 people in Fort Hood shooting spree

TSgt Joe C.

Army major kills 13 people in Fort Hood shooting spree

A military jury recommended Major Nidal Hasan be executed for killing 13 people in a 2009 mass shooting at Fort Hood. More from CNN at http://www.cnn.com/ --.

Thank you for reminding us TSgt Joe C. of the barbaric act by Muslim Major Nadal Malik Hasan for killing 13 people and the yet-to-born infant inside Private First Class Francheska Velez in the mass shooting on November 5, 2009 at the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas.

Prayers for the families of the murdered
Rank/occupation Name Age Hometown Notes
Civilian Physician Assistant Michael Grant Cahill 62 Spokane, Washington Shot while trying to charge the shooter
Major Libardo Eduardo Caraveo 52 Woodbridge, Virginia
Staff Sergeant Justin Michael DeCrow 32 Plymouth, Indiana Shot in the chest
Captain John P. Gaffaney 56 Serra Mesa, California Shot while trying to charge the shooter
Specialist Frederick Greene 29 Mountain City, Tennessee Shot while trying to charge the shooter
Specialist Jason Dean Hunt 22 Norman, Oklahoma Shot in the back
Staff Sergeant Amy Sue Kruege 29 Kiel, Wisconsin Shot in the chest
Private First Class Aaron Thomas Nemelka 19 West Jordan, Utah Shot in the chest
Private First Class Michael S. Pearson 22 Bolingbrook, Illinois Shot in the chest
Captain Russell Gilbert Seager 51 Racine, Wisconsin
Private First Class Francheska Velez 21 Chicago, Illinois Shot in the chest. Was pregnant when killed, and the baby also died
Lieutenant Colonel Juanita L. Warman 55 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Shot in the abdomen
Private First Class Kham See Xiong 23 Saint Paul, Minnesota Shot in the head

Watch the video: Deadly shooting rampage kills 13 at Texas military base (January 2022).